Friday, May 15, 2009

Difference between throughput and goodput?

Goodput measures the rate of data transmission/reception
at the application layer without taking into account
retransmissions. Applications like iperf typically report the
goodput seen by a typical application layer when operated
in TCP. However if iperf is used with UDP, which is a best
effort protocol, it is a better idea of the throughput seen on
the channel being measured.

Throughput is typically measured at layer 2/3 of the
network stack, thus including protocol overheads and
any retransmission. Hence in quite a few cases the
useful goodput is <<< throughput measured. For
example in file transmission, the "goodput" corresponds
to the file size (in bits) divided by the file transmission


Anonymous said...

I am guessing it is a similar variation with other applications such as DITG then?

Anonymous said...

My family members all the time say that I am wasting my time
here at web, however I know I am getting know-how everyday by reading thes pleasant posts.

Here is my page exposed skin care vs proactive

OpenYourMind said...

Because sometimes the throughput in udp is greater for high bitrates, and is lower for low bit rates? which may be the reason?

Post a Comment